[Zope] MySQL or PostGres

Andy Dustman andy@dustman.net
03 Sep 2001 12:17:55 -0400

On 03 Sep 2001 08:33:29 +0100, Chris Withers wrote:

> Which out of MySQL or PostGres would work better with Zope?
> Which has the more stable DA and what one should I use in each case?

I don't actually use PostgreSQL at this point, so I can't compare.
ZMySQLDA 2.0.7 seems pretty stable, and it does support transactions if
you use BDB or InnoDB tables. The InnoDB table support is still somewhat
beta at this point, from what I can tell. However, lots of people seem
to use ZMySQLDA without transactions and it works fine. It depends on
your application.

Some else made the inevitable car analogy. I would say MySQL is not so
much a Ferrari but more like a dragster: Very fast, as long as you don't
have to make any turns. I'm not sure what PostgreSQL would be; I hear
version 7 is greatly improved over version 6.

> (kinda OT for Zope, but which has the better full-text search capability?)

I believe MySQL-3.23 has a full-text search, but check the on-line
documentation at http://www.mysql.com.

--
Andy Dustman         PGP: 0x930B8AB6
    @       .net     http://dustman.net/andy