[Zope] ZOracleDA-beta5 problem; possible bug running NT

Zac Stevens zstevens@cryptocracy.com
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 01:28:25 +1000

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 10:27:12AM -0400, Behrens Matt - Grand Rapids wro=
te:
| IMO, the whole "None" thing with SQL does violate the principle of leas=
| surprise, though.

I honestly can't see why...

The SQL 'NULL' is "an unknown value" - as distinct from a 0 =B4empty stri=
ng'.
To me, 'None' is an entirely obvious response - it represents the fact th=
at
we do not know the state of that value; in a quantum world, it's
representing every state at once :)

Still, if not the Principle of Least Surprise, it's certainly violating t=
he
Principle of Not Being a Tedius Pain :)  It would be far more convenient
for it to return '0' for a NULL in a Numeric-type column, '' when in a
String-type column, and EOF for a Binary-type column.  (If you see what I=
'm
getting at)

Perhaps something for the next rev of the DB API? :)

-Z