[Zope] Block IP address in Z-Server?

Wed, 05 Sep 2001 15:30:07 -0700

Squid in front of Zope is the most powerful solution for web-access ACLs.
I'm not sure if ZServer provides much in the way of blocking an IP
address...  This might best be dealt with at an outer router /
packet-filter...

Other than robots.txt, another option is to integrate code into your
application that looks at REQUEST for the client IP does a
RESPONSE.redirect() to a text error page to prevent the spidering...

I think it is assumed by a lot of folks that if you need anything more
powerful than code at the application level (i.e. ACLs or Layer 4
filtering), that you have Apache or Squid in front of it, if not a
router/firewall.

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Lewandowski [mailto:kevinsl@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 1:07 PM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: [Zope] Block IP address in Z-Server?

Hi, is it possible to ban an ip address from accessing Zope?
(similar to Apache's "Deny from" directive).

There are some idiots doing ridiculous amounts of spidering
against my site and I want to block their IP's.

If not does anyone know of an os-level way to block it? (I'm
running linux)

thanks a lot

-Kevin