[Zope] Distributed development question

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 01:34:51 +0200

> I have a project that I am putting up on sourceforge, for a web-based
> hours/expenses tracking system in Zope and MySQL.  In any other
> environment this would be easy, especially the integration with CVS.
> But Zope and ZODB shoots this reality squarely in the head...
>
> So how do I do the CVS-distributed development in the Zope world?  I do
> not have access to a publicly-accessible Zope server, so publishing all
> code on sourceforge is my intent.
>
> Please say I don't have to export all methods, folders and DTML one at a
> time!  Or worse, check zope.zexp into cvs!  D'oh!

I guess you will write the actual code in Python? Then there is no real
problem. Just put the Zope Product folder into the CVS.

If you want to write your product as ZClasses, which is not the most
favourable way of doing it, You will indeed have to export it and store it
separately in the CVS.
There is a ZCVSFolder product
(http://www.zope.org/Members/sspickle/ZCVSMixin), but it currently only
works with a local CVS ...

You could also get a free Zope account at iuveno if your project is
published under an open source license (GPL, Zope Public License, BSD-type,
...).

BTW: Make sure to use a transaction-enabled database if you don't want to
lose data. Either use PostgreSQL or very new MySQL versions and the
transaction-aware tables!

Cheers,

Joachim