[Zope] Giving Zope more profile in Oz (ie Australia)

Richard Volpato richard@volpato.net
Sun, 09 Sep 2001 11:07:41 +1000

I am looking for Australian Zope developers and
would also like to get an estimate of the current state of
the Zope developer base in Australia.  I have gone to the new
Australian Users group site OzZope.org but it's
too new to give a good indication.

A reasonably large organisation in Australia is currently
exploring whether to fund a major Zope based application.
It is probably the largest such Zope project in Australia.
A prototype Zope application has been demonstrated and has
revealed the power of Zope.   While key business units
within this organisation are very keen on Zope,
others are skeptical about the spread and depth of
Zope skills in Australia.    Those who have invested in
a 'one-size fits all' platform based on Lotus Notes
need more convincing.   The failure of the existing (mostly Lotus)
platforms in this organisation to deal with the complexities of
the content management problem in the first place led to a
Zope based solution appearing so compelling.

Other, smaller Zope based applications in other organisations,
are also generating similar blends of fascination and skepticism.
I need more examples of Australian applications.

It will help me, and presumably other organisations,
if developers in Australia, would go to the recently established
OzZope.org and register.  In this way, those interested in
exploring Zope solutions can make contact with a developer base.
If you are keen to offer services for Zope related work,
please contact me.

The more we can show that a developer community exists in Australia,
the more likely I can convince corporate skeptics that Zope is
part of something vibrant, growing and here for the long term.
And, of course, if I can assist in getting this larger project running,
then further spin off projects will emerge which in turn
can fund more Zope development.

Looking forward to hearing from you -
and see you over at OzZope.org.

Richard Volpato