[Zope] zope 2.4.x crashing on RH 7.x

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Sun, 09 Sep 2001 09:11:37 +0100

Bak @ kedai wrote:

>>This looks like the py_malloc problem in Python 2.11, which causes
>>segmenatation faults like you're seeing.
>>
>>You need to recompile Python 2.11 without py_malloc.
>>

> no dice.  i got the python rpm source, and rebuilt it
> with --without-pymalloc and zope still restarts.  i also tried the rpm
> binaries from python.org

I use the source tarballs for both python and zope.

> fyi, i have both python versions installed.  i just removed /usr/bin/python
> and symlink /usr/bin/python2 to /usr/bin/python.  will this cause problems?
> i am not too sure myself.

This will cause you problems with your redhat install. Various of the
system utilities (such as for printing) rely on /usr/bin/python being
python1.5, so printing, and probably a few other things might just
mysteriously fail after you reboot.

> i'll try installing from source( not rpm source).

I think you'll need to recompile Zope against the new python by running
/path/to/python/211/binary wo_pcgi.py  (or w_pcgi.py if you use that).

Once you've done this, the path to your python binary will automatically
be included in all the  Zope scripts that require it.

--
Steve Alexander
Software Engineer