[Zope] What's up with netcraft?

Martijn Pieters mj@zope.com
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:12:03 -0400

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 11:01:54PM +0200, Brendon Grunewald wrote:
> I tested it with my site that IS ZOPE based, but Apache front ended, and
> got the following result:
>
> "The site www.70south.com is running Apache/1.3.17 (Unix) (SuSE/Linux)
> mod_fastcgi/2.2.2 mod_perl/1.24 on Linux."
>
> Hence it seems that even if you run Zope, if Apache is at the front end
> Zope is not counted :-(

This is true, but depends on your setup. If you use a proxy-pass setup, like
www.zope.org, Netcraft will see the Zope server headers and count is as a
Zope server. If you use a method PCGI or FastCGI or some such method, Zope
is just another CGI behind Apache, and Apache will set the Server header and
Netcraft adds another Apache server to its tally.

I once did a small test; I counted how many serevers listed on Zope.org as
Zope Powered returned a Zope Server header; about half did not! This was a
long time ago and the test set was small, so it may have to be retested
again. If we find a large enough set of known Zope sites, you could
extrapolate a good estimate of the number of Zope servers out there based on
the Netcraft and the percentage of Zope servers being reported as running
Zope.

--
Martijn Pieters