[Zope] ZCatalog in different languages

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:57:12 +0200

Hi Oleg,

--On Donnerstag, 13. September 2001 13:45 +0400 Oleg Broytmann <phd@phd.pp.ru> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 11:38:42AM +0200, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
>> >    Certainly it is possible. Oracle, for example, allows to create
>> > multilingual multiencoding databases. But it is not so simple.
>>
>> Maybe its possible to define the splitter per field?
>
>    The problem is not in the Splitter itself - the problem is in locale
> data. Locale data is the accumulated result of long research. Many people
> collected the data (how to represent national symbols, how to sort them,
> which are printable, which are alphas, etc), organized it and put into
> locales.
>    If you are going to get rid of locale - where you will get this
> information? You need it for every language/encoding you are going to
> support.

Specifically by defining the locale per field. The problem however
raises, if you have multiple representations of the same document
and have to serve them according to existence and language preference
of the reader. Even harder, if one document has more then one language
in it! The way to go is unicode of course, but how do we proceed?
Any ideas? I think this must be solveable.

Regards
Tino