[Zope] Product Design Help

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 23:09:31 +0200 (CEST)

Edward Muller writes:
 > considering 500-1000+ irc messages a
 > day
 > Here are the following storage mechanisms I've come up with:
 > 1) Create another class and have the main zope product create one of these
 > classes for each message and store that (in a folderish way) in the ZODB.
 > This should cut down on the rapid growth of the ZODB (vs. precvious versions)
 > and keep everything in zope.
 >
 > 2) Write the irc messages to a text file and have the IRCLog parse/display
 > that. I'm not too fond of this because it really doesn't take advantage of
 > zope's abilities, the ZODB, etc.
 >
 > 3) Write the irc messages to an SQL database (we run MySQL on hh.org; but I
 > could run postgres as well). I don't have much experience with Zope+SQL
 > databases and I'm not too eager to learn right now...But if it offers some
 > advantages I may do it this way (Note: SQL doesn't scare me.). But this also
 > has the disadvantage that I'm again going outside of Zope.
 >

 > So ... here are my questions:
 > 1) Which one of the above (or other) storage mechanisms would you use and why?
Similar questions have been discussed in the past.
Search the mailing list archive!

Personnally, I do not trust ZCatalog too much.
I would go for it when I have a small to medium number of objects
to catalog: say several thousand.
I would go for a RDB solution when I had in the order of a million or more
objects...

 > 2) What do I need to pay attention to porting from zope 2.2 to zope 2.4.1?
Should not be too difficult.

Just do it and look at the few tracebacks you will get...

Dieter