[Zope] specifying a different default view than index_html

Mitchell L Model mlm@acm.org
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 21:03:47 -0400

Is there a way to specify a different default for when a folder is
viewed so that it doesn't use index_html?

Here's the situation: I have a hierarchy of folders.  I want
everything except the root to share a common index_html.  The root is
special -- the entry to my site.  I don't want people to have to type
anything other than the path to the root folder to enter the site
(though if there's no other way to do it, it won't be a big deal if
they have to add a specific .html file to the path).  When they enter
the site, they should get a different view than the default
index_html.  So, I need a way to either change the default used by
the root or the default used by everything else.

I realize I can interpose another level of folder between the root
and everything else, in order to store defaults I don't want shared
by the root.  I may do that if there are more defaults I don't want
shared with the root, but right now index_html is the only one.

I'd be interested in design  suggestions regarding this issue as well
as hints for mechanisms to use.