[Zope] Question about ZCatalog

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 20:50:26 +0200 (CEST)

Pieter Claerhout writes:
 > I'm just writing my first major Zope website, and I'm stuck with a (probably
 > easy) question. My site consists of dtml-documents, ZSAL methods that access
 > an Oracle database and some Local File Systems (using LocalFS). I want to
 > add an option that enables the users to search through all this contents.
 >
 > My question now is: is ZCatalog the way to go, or do I need something else?
With 600 MB, I would not go for ZCatalog.
But try it out!

 > I know I can use ZCatalog to search through the objects in the ZODB, but I'm
 > not sure if you can use it to search through the results of ZSQLMethods or
 > Local File Systems...
Recent versions of LocalFS will make no problem with ZCatalog
(in principle). There is a HowTo on how to catalog material
in a relational database.

 > If ZCatalog is the way to go, do I need to take care of special stuff? What
 > I'm most concerned about are the LocalFS (as they are over 600MB of raw
 > data).
Make a test and see, how long the initial indexing takes,
how long searches take and how long incremental updates take.
Beside time, memory usage is interesting for each of these
steps.

We are probably interested in your results.

Dieter