[Zope] list summaries?

kellan kellan@protest.net
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 14:40:05 -0700 (PDT)

>  > And if no one is doing this?  Would somebody be maybe interested in
>  > starting?  It would make these lists much more approachable.
> Maybe you?

No thanks.  I've already received a half dozen suggestions that I
should take this on.  So I'd like to nip that idea in the bud. :) (That
is always the response to any suggestion)

I already do lists summaries for enough lists, it takes time, though its
my experience that it gets easier with practice.  On a list that I'm
familiar with, and feel comfortable with the domain it is easy to quickly
sift through the chafe:  you know what represent insight, and what is a
FAQ, and you know whom is likely to post interesting messages, and whom
isn't, and you have the historical context for it all.

On a medium traffic list (of which I would say Zope@zope is high traffic
list) it takes between 2-4 hours a week, depending on the week, and
whether I had been reading with an eye towards summary.

I've also found Mailman's archives (in thread view) can be an amazingly
useful resource for compiling summaries.

> ChrisM is posting a bi-weekly Zope newsletter *when* he finds time.
> Sometimes, it contains a summary of the mailing list traffic.

So he said.  I look forward to it.  Amazing how everyone is always
amazingly busy.  In that way the open source community, reminds me of the
activist community (which is where I get my other deluges of email from)

thanks
kellan

--
"we reject kings, presidents and voting. we believe in
rough consensus and running code." [david clark (MIT)]

kellan@protest.net