[Zope] About IEMethod

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:03:31 +0200

>   I've been trying other ways to design the graphic parts of our intranet,
> and I've found the IEMethod product. It's amazing! It's just like a DTML
> method but it has a tab called editor where there is a WYSIWYG editor for
> IE. The bad thing is that it doesn't include graphics, tables or forms.
Does
> anyone know about a similar product that would include these too? Or, if
the
> author is about, will new versions of it include these?

I've said that too often, I know, but we have something like that in the
pipe ;-)

There are a couple of free (GPLed or even LGPLed)  WYSIWYG implementations
for IE, as the basic technology is in IE anyway. One of them (it's called
"RichTextEditor") even has a little table builder.

IEMethod is not too actively maintained. The current "official" release does
not work with Linux, but in our Kontentor demo download there is a fixed
version. I think that IEMethod has the wrong basic concept. We don't need an
IE WYSIWYG DOCUMENT (storage is not any different if you are dealing with a
WYSIWYG form or with a plain textarea form), but a WYSIWYG form field! So
what we'll do is take Formulator and add a "WYSIWYG text field" or so to it.

I'd like to have something like a Java-based image-map builder -- that's the
one we are missing. What we have, is basic table creation support (not the
IE way, but using plain HTML w/o Javascript) and forms can be built using
Formulator or whatever we will put on top of it for the long-awaited
Kontentor 2.x release, ...

If you need even more, like real graphics manipulation, I'd forget about
using the browser for it. Take Dreamweaver or GoLive instead ...

Joachim