[Zope] Parsed XML Problem (we may need the best minds to solve this one :-)

Adam Warner lists@consulting.net.nz
26 Sep 2001 02:18:40 +1200

Andrew has been exceptionally helpful by private email. There does
indeed appear to errors in my external method that he helped uncover.

The good news is that I can now call the external method and insert a
premature return that does return the text of the Parsed XML object.
This means I will be able to overcome the problems in my external
method. Parsed XML objects not working but File objects working helped
uncover problems in my external method. The XML data is indeed getting
to the external method.

Update:

The final solution Andrew will be pleased to know was simplicity itself.
Because I discovered that a "return inputdoc" returned the actual data
not the filename (object) all I had to do was change inputdoc.data to
inputdoc.

And it turned out to be Andrew's final suggestion as well :-)

"or you could try str(nameOfObject) ...
which if you're lucky will return something other than <ParsedXML
Instance at .....>"

So again many thanks Andrew.

The answer is now so obvious. The input data was already a string. So I
couldn't extract the data from the string. When I was using a file it
was necessary to extract the data from the file object.

Oh and Oleg Broytmann my initial dtml was fine. That is:

<dtml-var "db2onehtml(_.getitem('test.xml'))">

Still works as it did for file objects.

Regards,
Adam