[Zope] Internet Bill of Rights Source Text

lozinski@openstepnews.com lozinski@openstepnews.com
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:05:23 -0700 (PDT)

INFORMATION BILL OF RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES

1.Freedom to Speak. We have the right to create an information service and
determine its rules and regulations subject only to the copyright, intellec=
tual
property rights, and tax rules in our geopolitical location. We have the
responsibility to honor the rules and regulations of any information servic=
that we connect to.

2.Freedom to Listen. Adults have the right to connect to any publically rel=
eased
information service. We are responsibile for how we use that information.

3.Copyright Use. When we purchase a copyrighted work, we are free to copy i=
t to
any medium and enjoy it from that medium, for our own personal use. We have=
 the
right to transfer our rights in a particular work, to another individual, b=
ut
then we loose our rights to that work. We have the responsibility to ensure=
 that
the copyright work we purchased is not otherwise distributed.

4.Secure Communications. We have the right to secure and private informatio=
channels. We have the responsibility to not abuse those information channel=
.
Unsolicited commercial email, pop up adds, and denial of service attacks ar=
some of the existing abuses.

5.Privacy. We have the right to privacy of our information. Our personal
information is our asset, and may not be used without our explicit approval=
.
After our approval is given, we are free to withdraw it at any time. We hav=
e the
responsibility to respect the privacy of other peoples information.

6.Weapons of Mass Destruction. We have the right to publish information abo=
ut
weapons of mass destruction, but that information may be used to harm innoc=
ent
individuals, so we have the responsibility to track who gets access to that
information, and to preserve that contact information for possible future
judicial seizure.

7.Proportional Representation. On issues of governance, we have the right t=
vote directly, or to assign our vote to a representative, but in either cas=
proportional representation will be preserved.

8.Judicial Search, Seizure. Our rights to private and secure information st=
orage
and communication may only be removed by a judicially approved search warre=
nt,
executed for probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particul=
arly
describing the communication channel, service or medium to be searched, and=
 the
information to be seized. That search warrent needs to be approved in the s=
ame
geopolitical location where the information is stored or where one end of t=
he
communications channel exists.

9.Interruption of service. Our rights to connect to a service can only be
forfeit with a judicial judgement by a court with authority in the location=
 of
the service. Such a judgement may only be made for violating the terms and
conditions of the service provider, or for irresponsibly using that informa=
tion
to commit a crime, but under no circumstances for just accessing that
information.

10.Shared Enforcement. Everyone who is covered by this bill of rights has t=
he
responsibility to use their sphere of control to ensure that these rights a=
nd
responsibilities are followed.

Copyright =A9 1998-2001 by BPG.