[Zope] CST and disappearing variables

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 11:13:40 -0400

> Good, sort of.  At least I don't have to keep pulling my hair out.  Is there
> not a public CVS for CST?

No.. unfortunately.

>>In the meantime, please use an external data container.
>>

> It seems that using an external data container means either using an
> undoable storage (not recommended) or using early development versions of
> various external mounting and related products.  Are these in fact the only
> current external data container solutions?  What's your recommendation for a
> simple setup of external non-undoable storage?

I'd use the "packless" BerkeleyStorage variant
(http://www.zope.org/Products/bsddb3Storage/bsddb3Storage-1.0beta4.tar.gz/view)
, which is nonundoing and nonversioning.  Then mount a packless storage
and put an external data container into it.

Probably the easiest way to do this is to create a (throwaway) Zope
instance initializes its "main" database into a packless storage... you
just want to use the throwaway Zope to "intialize" the packless
database, not to run anything on.  There are instructions for doing this
in the bsddb3Storage package.  If you can browse the ZODB in the
throwaway instance, the database is initialized.

After you've got an "initialized" database, use Shane's exMount product
(http://www.zope.org/Members/hathawsh/ExternalMount) to mount it into
your production site's database.

Alternately, use the strategy used by Randy Kern in
http://www.zope.org/Members/randy/ZEO-Sessions .  This docuemnt also
describes the usage of externalmount.

HTH and apologies again,

- C