[Zope] List editing with page templates

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 21:19:22 +0200

Richard Wesley writes:
 > >Please read the "Web publishing" section of
 > >
 > >   <http://www.dieter.handshake.de/pyprojects/zope/book/chap3.html>
 >
 > Fabulous.  I will read it all!
 >
 > >You will find that "REQUEST" is what the name suggests (oh wonder!):
 > >a description of a single, the current, request: no memory for
 > >earlier requests.
 >
 > Except that this was not what I was finding empirically, but I was
 > unsuccessful in finding an explanation of why this is the case.  It
 > appears that if I have a form whose action is a script that reloads
 > the page with a changed request variable, that I have no need of
 > sessions:
This is still the same request (read: interaction with the browser).
Therefore, changes to the request object are visible.
As soon as you repond to the request, the request object is released
(destroyed, no longer accessible).

 > >When you need such a memory, you are looking for a session.
 > >Zope 2.5 comes with an integrated session product.
 > >It's very easy to use:
 > >
 > >      SESSION.set(key,value)
 > >
 > >sets "key" to "value" in one request and
 > >
 > >      SESSION[key]
 > >
 > >retrieves it in later requests.
 >
 > which I _had_ found but didn't spend a lot of time on because it
 > seemed like overkill.
 >
 > This seems to require a coding style where you always link to scripts
 > which then return a display page template.
This is not necessary. You can assign sessions keys in both page templates
and DTML objects, not only scripts.

Dieter