[Zope] Use the source Luke -- what could be done to help documentation process? Request for comments!

Kari-Hans Kommonen khk@uiah.fi
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 10:00:24 +0300

One of the key problems is that a lot of excellent and helpful
material exists but can't be easily found.

For example, the mailing list has answers to a lot of questions, but
it is hard to invent the right set of search terms to end up with the
gold nuggets that actually talk about your problem. The same goes
with the how-to's etc. Now you have only two ways: browse the
subjects and guess, or do full text searches.

Maybe a key thing in making the community contributions more useful
could be to try to build more shared structure for the issues that
are discussed, and start to use common descriptions for the issues. I
am not sure how to do that...but I believe that contributions from
both 1) those how know ZOPE and CMF well enough to put pieces in
their most proper place and 2) those who know so little that they
can't recognize what their problem really relates to have to come
together in this - but maybe in a fashion that eventually is
coordinated by one of those who is involved in the development of
future directions.

The common decsriptions need to have a good spectrum of levels of
detail, so that if one knows exactly what one is talking about it can
be specified, but at the same time it can be bound together with
other issues in the same family.

I think that in the first step, the mailing list messages could
simply be further qualified with some keyphrases (one or more phrases
which each contain one or more keywords that describe the issue in
possibly increasing detail as in "workflow, customize", "xxx, x111,
x222") by all, and maybe some of the more experienced ones could try
to start the practice and establish some good examples of keyphrase
structures. This annotation should of course take place already when
messages are posted, but could be revised later in a database.

The second component would be some kind of rating - so that those who
find a snippet useful or wrong could indicate that (but I am not sure
how to do this so that there would be some kind of quality control in
the quality control).

Eventually, a nice zope product can be written that makes it easy to
organize and search these messages in an elegant way; this would also
make a great database for structured, comprehensive, edited FAQ and
book development.

khk