[Zope] unix security patch

notices name notices@fiberfolk.com
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:43:42 -0800 (PST)

Hi. I am trying to run zope as a user "zope", neither root nor nobody,
and I am having the hardest time. I am new to both Linux and Zope,
running zope 2.5.0 on Linux 7.2. I applied zigg's UNIX security patch,
Zope-2.5.0b3-unix-security.patch
and then I edited start to add -u zope
I got System Exit: Cannot safelt setuid without initgroups

There was a line in the instructions  - "you must run the build script
 in order to get the new module built". I can't figure out what the build script is
or how to run it. (I have that sinking feeling my inexperience is showing, sorry!)
I did run the install script again to see if it would compile the right piece, no luck.
I seem to have a c compiler, gcc, which seems to respond to the cc command,
although I  can't be sure because I know nothing about c. I found a file called
initgroups.c, but if I do cc initgroups.c, I get
initgroups.c:28:20 Python.h No such file or directory.
(sure enough line 28 says include "Python.h")
I found a Python.h and copied it into the initgroups dir
and tried cc initgroups.c again, and got a slew of missing things inside Python.h.
Am I on the right track? Is there an easier way?
Thanks, Annie