[Zope] STX (Wiki) to PDF?

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 11:30:27 -0500

Hi Brad,

Wow, this is an incredibly timely question. ;-)

First of all the tool the Zope Book used (I speak in the past tense for a
reason here ;-) to convert to PDF was "htmldoc" available from
http://www.easysw.com/software.html .  It's a command-line UNIX tool that
appears to be available in source code form although I'm not sure what its
actual license is.

I've been working for the last few days on something that uses Reportlab's
PDF generation tool to do the same.  The "BackTalk" project/system is what
drives the Zope Developer's Guide at http://www.zope.org/Documentation/ZDG.
This is a Zope Product that allows inline comments and editing.

I've added code to the CVS version of BackTalk
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/backtalk/) to render structured text to PDF
if you've got Reportlabs' PDF stuff (http://www.reportlabs.com) and PIL
(http://www.pythonware.com) installed.

The "PDFClass.py" Python module is what you'll want to look at inside of the
BackTalk CVS module.  This file implements a general-purpose stx-to-PDF
"colorizer" class (akin to stx's HTMLClass) and can generate tables of
contents, PDF bookmarks, and can handle images.  It is lacking any facility
to produce internal and external links, though I'd like to implement them
soon (any help would be wonderful ;-)  Currently the "htmldoc" tool produces
marginally nicer output, but it of course requires HTML input and doesn't
appear to be free software.

HTH,

 - C