[Zope] Upgrading

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 20:56:24 +0200

Julian ADELMAN writes:
 > I'm using Zope 2.3.0 and i would like to upgrade to release 2.5.0.
 >
 > I had a look at the Installation Instruction were it says : "Update
 > releases have names like Zope-2.3.x-to-2.3.2-src.tgz"
 > But i can't found any files with this kind of name in the Zope
 > website ???
You will get such "upgrade" distributions only for minor changes.

Your upgrade from 2.3 to 2.5 is a big step. Too many things changed
that you could live with a simplified installation/upgrade.

 > Is there a way to upgrade using the complete 2.5.0 distribution ?
It is.

Make a copy of your "Data.fs" (it contains the ZODB).

Make a fresh standard installation of Zope 2.5.0.
Check it.

Copy your (old) "Data.fs" into Zope's "var" folder.
Restart Zope.

If you used non-Core products, then some of your objects will be
broken. You need to copy these products into the new Zope instance
to make them available. To facilitate upgrades in the future,
you can use the "INSTANCE_HOME" installation of Zope.
This technique (its a technique, not a special distribution)
allows you to separate the Zope distribution from your
application specific products. There is a HowTo on Zope.org.
Please read it before you ask detailed questions...

Dieter