R: [Zope] Discussion: Best practice site struture (LONG)

Luca Olivetti luca@wetron.es
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:39:05 +0200

Max M wrote:

> Well in fact it is VERY easy to do in the ZODB. My mxmRelations product
> does exactly this.

I'm using it right now (with a modification to add absolute_url to the attributes
returned by smartlist) and I find it very useful, thank you, but still I think it is a
hack: you do the relational magic by storing the path of the object. Move an object
(copy & paste or rename) and the relation is gone (not a big deal, btw). Export a site
using relations and import it in a different subtree and the relations are gone (this
*is* a big deal: you can't safely use export/import). Delete an object, create another
one with the same id and see the old relation pointing to it. The management interface
should show dangling links instead of just hiding them. And if you want referential
integrity you still have to code it by hand in each object (i.e. by implementing
manage_beforeDelete).
Even with these shortcomings it *is* an useful product, but I hope that relations in
core zope are implemented with the set of features that a relational database gives you.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004      Fax +34 93 5883007