[Zope] strange problem

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 20:20:00 +0200

Jin Chen writes:
 > The only thing is our system administrator reboot the NT machine and the
 > zope start.bat retarted looks like the normal. But the zope was not work.
 > And It is very interesting, after I restarted the zope several times, it
 > finally worked last day. I really don't know what happen and am afraid it
 > will happen again.
 > Do you have any experience at that?
No, I do not work under Windows.

The mailing list archives have some similar threads (not that many).
Reasons have been:

	Networking/DNS problems: in some cases, Zope maps IP-addresses
	to Hostnames. This is a DNS query which can be very unpredictable.

	Once, a virus checker has been responsible slowing the the
	machine in an incredible way.

	Once, it was an email message generated in "standard_html_message".
	The connection to the email server hang. The Zope owner
	was unaware that "standard_html_message" was called (it
	was for an "Unauthorized" exception. Usually, you do not
	see the error report).

Of course, there are much more potential reasons.

Dieter