[Zope] Relational database & user permissions (select, add, update, delete)

Andreas Heckel andreas@easyleading.org
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:28:21 +0200

Jon Erickson wrote:

> I've run into a problem while developing a multi-user database
> application using Postgresql and Zope with ZSQL methods.  I need
> user\group based security for the database similar to...
> ... but most Database Adapters use a single, static user login for
> database connections.

To solve this you can develop a DA that creates a new db
connection. But this is not a working solution.
Firlst of all:
A Zope DA creates a backend process when connecting to PostGreSQL.
The number of backends at the same time is limited (default value is
32)

Second:
Connecting to the db is a very expensive operation.

> I don't really want to program this logic
> in python when Postgresql already has said features.
>
> Does anyone have experience implementing user-level database security in
> a Zope app?  If so, could you reply with some suggestions or examples
> please.

Have a look at ZDatabaseTool Demo at:
http://www.easyleading.org/demo/

It gives you a RowLevelSecurity tab in the management screen.
At this time a new ZopeDA for Postgres called ZEasyPGDA is also in work.
Using this DA with ZDatabaseTool you can upload any file an store it
on PostgreSQL as BLOB !

Unfortunately the tool and the DA are not officially released. But I'll
send
a beta package to all of you who ask for it.

Please let me know what you think about it.

Andreas Heckel                                  andreas@easyleading.org
LINUX is like a wigwam...no gates...no windows and an apache inside ;-)