[Zope] Trouble with TimeStamp.o on install?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:47:54 +0200

Longley, Josh writes:
 > I've been spending the night trying to get Zope to compile on my system.  It
 > is an Intel based Solaris 8 box.  I'm (now), using Python 2.1.2.  I've poked
 > and prodded at it every which way I can think of, but always end up with the
 > following error:
 > gcc -fPIC -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I/usr/local/include/python2.1
 > -I/usr/local/include/python2.1 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
 > -I../../Components/ExtensionClass/src -DUSE_EXTENSION_CLASS -c
 > ././TimeStamp.c -o ./TimeStamp.o
 > Assembler: TimeStamp.c
 >         "/var/tmp/ccHjoJfg.s", line 1003 : Illegal mnemonic
 >         "/var/tmp/ccHjoJfg.s", line 1003 : Syntax error
 >         "/var/tmp/ccHjoJfg.s", line 1003 : Illegal mnemonic
Apparently, "gcc" generates assembler code which this does not like.

It might be possible that the Gnu Assember (part of the "binutils" package)
solves the problem.

An alternative might be to run your sytem under Linux rather than
Solaris.

Dieter