[Zope] TAL and mysql

Peter Bengtsson mail@peterbe.com
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:56:14 +0200

On Monday 15 April 2002 21:20, Steven Pokrandt wrote:
> Can someone point me to a good book or document and TAL's.  That would
> include using external DB's like mysql.

TAL and MySQL have nothing in common. TAL and SQL Method objects have some
connection.
Learn how to use SQL Methods first. Then learn how to use TAL. Then it will be
clear how to "combine" them.

> I've already read The Zope Book and the book on Zope.  is there anything
> that goes into tal and such more in depth?

I think my little howto is good
http://www.zope.org/Members/peterbe/DTML2ZPT
Lots of examples.

Also lots of examples on
http://www.zopelabs.com/cookbook/byCategory?category=PageTemplates

> Coming from the PHP world and this object orianted stuff makes sense, BUT I
> still fall back in my old ways.

Compared to PHP, Zope is good in that sense that backend code (mysql/SQL) is
very separated from the templating (HTML).
You'll make misstakes along the way but try to keep them apart as much as
possible.