[Zope] Re: [cadaver] Trouble forwarding Zope's WebDAV source port

Joe Orton joe@manyfish.co.uk
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 08:55:22 +0100

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 09:44:39AM +0200, Jean Jordaan wrote:
> Hi Joe
>
> > The infinite loop was due to a bug in old versions of cadaver: I
> > suggest you upgrade to 0.19.1.
>
> OK, I'll give that a shot. OK, now I don't get an infinite loop, I
> get this instead::
>
>  dav:!> open localhost:8888
>  Looking up hostname... Connecting to server... connected.
>  Could not contact server:
>  Could not read status line: connection was closed by server.

Much better :)

> If I telnet to 8800 when logged in on remote, I connect successfully::
>
>  [jean@remote jean]$ telnet localhost 8800
>  Trying 127.0.0.1...
>  Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).
>  Escape character is '^]'.

Ah ha, then you really want to be using:

 ssh -L 8888:localhost:8800 remote.co.za

you understand this after playing about with it a bit. e.g.
-L 8888:www.openssh.org:80 would mean "listen for connections to port 8888
on the local side.  tunnel these through the ssh session, and, from the
remote side, connect them through to www.openssh.org port 80"

BTW, you may have problems using tunnelled connections and WebDAV with
the COPY and MOVE methods, if the server doesn't know it can be called
"localhost". With Apache/mod_dav you'd need to add "ServerAlias
localhost" to the virtual host in httpd.conf. I don't know if that's
sufficient for Zope too.

Regards,

joe