[Zope] zope & vignette

Toens Bueker toens.bueker@gmx.net
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:33:06 +0200

Sven Schupp <schupp@opus5.de> wrote:

> > I can deliver 'political' reasons for not using vignette - but no technical
> > reasons, as I don't know, what you actually want to do.
>
> no technical reasons for _not_ using vignette yet...i don't know anything
> about vignette.
> It's about building a portal. For which the CMF seems to be a good choice in
> my eyes...

Correct - but a portal normally is a frontend to various other
systems. There could be technical reasons _for_ Vignette because of its
capabilities in integrating these 'backend'-systems.

It would be interesting to find out, whether V5 or V6 are going to be used. V5
is basically a tcl interpreter with a few templates and daemons for caching and
delivery - _everything_ else needs to be adapted or developed.

The business model behind V5 is: selling an alpha-product with an impressive
price tag to a customer and then selling consulting, integration and training
with an equally considerable price tag afterwards.

V6 seems to be Java based, bringing it nearer to the
J2EE-Applicationserver-Enterprise-Hype-Hot-Spot. Never worked with it - only
read a few magazine articles.

by
Töns
--