[Zope] quick question

Dennis Allison allison@sumeru.stanford.EDU
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 01:49:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 JEdw411@aol.com wrote:

> My question is - I downloaded the linux full version of Zope. It downloads
> with a .tar extension but when I called it from Telnet I received the
> following error message:
>
> tar -xf Zope-2.5.0-linux2-x86.tar
> This does not look like a tar file
> Skipping to next header
> 331 garbage bytes ignored at end of archive
> Error exit delayed from previous errors
>
> Is this a download problem as I did notice that downloading from Zope.org is
> very time-consuming whereas I have a cable connection and anywhere else it
> takes a matter of seconds. I've redownloaded it three times and even tried
> other packages but the same basic errors comes up each time. Can you shed
> some light on this or point me to your forum so that I may enlist the help of
> other users?

The tarball you downloaded is probably not a tar file (extension .tar) but
a gzipped tar file (extension .tgz).  Check this with

	file Zope...

If it's a tgz file you need to unpack it

	tar xzvf Zope....

One other thing to watch--some older ftp systems default to ASCII mode and
munge the file in transit.  To be safe, always specify 'bin' explicitly.