[Zope] Zope magazine - The spirit of the community

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
18 Apr 2002 16:32:24 +0100

Couldn't resist a throwing in some comments.

I don't see how it's parasitic of Beehive to write a 'closed-source'
magazine.  Is it parasitic of me to charge clients for software I've
developed on top of Zope?

Beehive do lots of good stuff, and even if they didn't, I wouldn't mind
them doing this.

What I do think is worth dwelling on is....:

The community is made up of a ragged collection of enthusiasts, geeks,
maverick members of IT departments, academics, small businesses and a
benevolent dictatorship.  How can we best work together towards a common
good is something that interests me greatly.  Those of us who depend on
Zope to a massive extent for our livelihod have to create viable
business models, but this does not have to create a conflict with the
people who are less engaged with the business aspects, for whatever
reason.

I'm sure there are some really interesting, novel approaches to this
problem, just waiting to be discovered.

seb

<snip lots of opinions from various people>