[Zope] Problem Creating Instances Mysteriously Solved

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 23:24:56 +0100

Dan Shafer wrote:

> Clearing could be a structured document (XML), a collection of SQL database
> records or, as it turns out after only a little experimentation on my part,
> a collection of folderish Zope objects and documents manipulated directly
> through DTML (setting properties, etc.)

No! *slap* *slap* Dammit! Snap out of it! ;-)

DTML is evil. Especially when used for manipulating things.
DTML should _only_ ever be used for presentation, althought I'd recommend ZPT
for that.

Use Python in the form of Script (Python)'s when you need to manipulate
things...

> IOW, no need for custom classes, just extend the built-in classes via
> properties which can be set in DTML methods and Python scripts.

tada! :-)

> This is clearly no less OO than my original approach, but it will be
> several orders of magnitude easier to write and maintain. I'll probably
> finish this project now in about 10%of the time I've already spent just
> trying to get ZClasses working to my satisfaction.
>
> Lesson learned. If it seems too hard, it probably is.

tada! (II)

> Thanks to Chris Weathers,

*sigh* Withers, not Whithers, certainly not Weathers...

Pretty please? :-)

Seriously though, I'm glad things are looking up. So many problems are merely
the outlook you bring to them...

good luck,

Chris (Withers ;-)