[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] Separate staging and development areas for a product

John Schinnerer johnschinnerer@yahoo.com
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:18:55 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

<snip>...
> ... but I really need my development
> version accessible to the internet, too.  And it would be nice to
> have three versions so I could have a separate testing version
>public, as well.

> What should someone like me do in order to develop a product that is
> also in use on my server?  What do other independent developers do?

Zope 'version' objects (Ch. 3, zope book, near the end) supposedly
address some of your issues (which are similar to some of mine - I too
would like to have fully functional preview/test sites available on my
live server).  I haven't tried versions yet, though, because...

What the zope book info on versions doesn't say (and I haven't found
elsewhere either) is how (or if it's even possible) to access a version
from outside the management interface - that is, as a client would see
it in their browser, so it can be tested before changes are committed
to the 'public' version.  If I can't do that, and do it transparently,
versions don't do me any good.  There'd have to be some URL trickery
somewhere to serve up a version without breaking buckets 'o links...

Can anyone round out the picture of what versions can and can't do? As
in, is there any way to serve them transparently to the 'outside world'
or are they only accessible from a management interface?

I currently develop on a standalone machine and use export/import to
xfer site revisions to my 'live' server.  Since my dev machine is Win
and my hosting server is Debian linux, I reckon I'm implicitly testing
Zope cross-platform development issues... :-o  So far so good...except
for maybe my 'date' problem... ;-)

thanks,
John S.