[Zope] FTP Problem

Roel Van den Bergh roel@planetinterior.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:16:51 +0200

Upgraded to 2.5.1 and still we have the same problem :-(

I tried several different FTP clients but no succes

After several attempt to login (succesfully, but fails to list the
directories) we get a message "user limit reached" and we have to restart
the zope server ...

Does anybody know of a FTP client that works from Win to Linux?

This is an extract of the Medusa readme page at
http://www.nightmare.com/medusa/README.html

FTP
On Unix, the ftp server includes support for 'real' users, so that it may be
used as a drop-in replacement for the normal ftp server. Since most ftp
servers on Unix use the 'forking' model, each child process changes its
user/group persona after a successful login. This is a relatively secure
design.

Medusa takes a different approach - whenever Medusa performs an operation
for a particular user [listing a directory, opening a file], it temporarily
switches to that user's persona _only_ for the duration of the operation.
[and each such operation is protected by a try/finally exception handler].

To do this Medusa MUST run with super-user privileges. This is a HIGHLY
experimental approach, and although it has been thoroughly tested on Linux,
security problems may still exist. If you are concerned about the security
of your server machine, AND YOU SHOULD BE, I suggest running Medusa's ftp
server in anonymous-only mode, under an account with limited privileges
('nobody' is usually used for this purpose).

I am very interested in any feedback on this feature, most especially
information on how the server behaves on different implementations of Unix,
and of course any security problems that are found.
end of extract