[Zope] Zope 2.5.0, thread stack issues

Geoff Gerrietts geoff@gerrietts.net
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:11:30 -0700

Quoting Jens Vagelpohl (jens@zope.com):
> if you have not hacked your python 2.1.3 yet to allocate a bigger threaad
> stack upon thread creation then i would say that's where your problem is.

Again, I'm on Linux, not FreeBSD, and under Linux the default thread
stack size is 2MB, not 64kB. I don't believe there's a way to raise
that, short of recompiling glibc; pthread_attr_setstacksize doesn't
work for values larger than 2MB. It's possible that there's a kernel
limit that needs to be retuned; I find very little documentation on
this.

That is, if I need to hack my python to allot more memory for thread
stacks, something is REALLY foobar.

Quoting kosh@aesaeion.com (kosh@aesaeion.com):

> You can rule out the Data.fs size also I have lots that are in the
> 500M to 1G range with no problems.

I meant to point out the size as an indicator of complexity, though I
can see that it's not a good indicator. :)

> I think we could do with some more information. If you start zope with
> STUPID_LOG_FILE="somepath/somefile" and then follow that file do you see
> any errors before the crash?

I wasn't getting any under RH6.2, but (curiously enough), moving to
RH7.2 has changed the symptoms. Now it hangs, then throws a
SystemExit after a long while. This is looking more familiar (but no
less solve-able).

The system exit shows up in the controlling console, not in
STUPID_LOG_FILE. The message looks like:

error! exceptions.SystemExit
Terminated

Zope continues to run after this, but appears to have lost its brains.

> What OS and version?

Was RedHat Linux 6.2. Moved to RedHat Linux 7.2.

> How much memory does the system have?

512MB RAM

> How fast is the cpu and what kind?

Intel Pentium III clocking at 497.438 MHz (according to /proc/cpuinfo).

Thanks,
--G.

--
Geoff Gerrietts             "I don't think it's immoral to want to
<geoff at gerrietts net>     make money."      -- Guido van Rossum