AW: [Zope] zope and WAP

Duncan Booth duncan@rcp.co.uk
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:07:16 +0100

On 28 Apr 2002, Peter Bengtsson <mail@peterbe.com> wrote:

> At 22:54 2002-04-27 +0200, trash.mail@gmx.ch wrote:
>>Hello together,
>>I think with ZPT ZopePageTemplate is it not possible to write a
>>application for Wap, because the language for Wap is wml an wml is not a
>>XML well formed language. PageTemplates MUST be well formed XML Syntax.
>>You should write your application with DTML Tags.
>>
>>Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> "wml is not a XML well formed language"
> WML is an XML derivative and is _very strict_ on syntax unlike HTML for
> example.
> There are no reason for not using ZPT. I definitly think ZPT will be of
> more advantage than DTML for WML in Zope.

Definitely use page templates rather than DTML. The biggest problem doing
WAP with DTML is that unless you are very VERY careful you will end up
sometimes producing pages that aren't valid XML. You then waste ages trying
to figure out why the gateway returned a totally useless error message.

With page templates you shouldn't be able to produce bad XML (unless you
try), and you can use on-error on an outer tag to return a meaningful error
page.

I have updated the WAP howto on the Zope site to suggest that page
templates may be a better solution.

--
Duncan Booth                                             duncan@rcp.co.uk