[Zope] Report to Recipient(s)

Martijn Pieters mj@zope.com
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 11:02:42 -0400

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 04:43:02PM +0200, Reinoud van Leeuwen wrote:
> What would be "banned content" in an announcement? Are there sane people
> around that believe that computer programs can understand what a message
> means? Or are we too young to see naughty words?

Dunno about this particular filter, but Zope/Python.org's SpamAssassin also
flagged the Pound announcement as possible spam. SpamAssassin uses
heuristics (tuned via a genetic algorithm, IIRC) to find spam. In this case:

- the message sender's email software didn't generate a Message ID, it was
  added by a later MTA (Spam is notoriously broken in such details)

- the Message ID added by the later MTA was not a valid Message ID, as the
  MTA that generated it added a message that it had done so.

- The message triggered a pr0n keyword filter; it must've been all the
  'Pound'-ing. ;)

- The words 'HTTP/HTTPS' triggered a double-caps word filter (often found in
  spams).

All in all these factors added up to a score of 5.5, which was just over the
5.0 threshold Python.org has set. Messages in the 5.0 to 10.0 range sometimes
are such false positives. Incidentally, had Robert Segall mentioned Zope or
Python in the message however, he'd have pushed the score just below the
threshold again.

--
Martijn Pieters