[Zope] manage_workspace in doubt

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:59:38 -0400

[Chris Beaumont]

> I have this same problem whenever I use Mozilla or Netscape 6.x on
> either MacOS or Linux and I would very much like to know what is
> causing it.
>
> This problem forces me to use Opera, Netscape 4.7.9 or IE whenever I
> want to manage Zope, which sucks, because I work in the ZMI a lot,
> but at other times, Mozilla is my favorite browser.
>
> This problem occurs no matter what version of Zope that I am connecting
to.

> Zope community, if anyone knows the answer, please help us. I can't
> believe that Mozilla is at fault. Is it just one of the many browser
> settings which I can correct?

As I recall, this used to happen with some older versions of IE 5.0/5.5 in
Windows.  Newer versions of IE5.5 do not have it.  So it does have something
to do with the browser.  I do not have this problem with Mozilla 1.0 on
Win2000.

It seems that Zope is intolerant of some (unknown) errors or differences in
browser interactions.  For example, on Windows I have persistently had a
problem with Netscape 4.7x (but only on Windows) wherein a POST to Zope does
not work until the user clicks on the brower's title bar.  It seems that
either Zope or Netscape is waiting for one last piece of data.  Even with
help from some people on the list that one is still a mystery.

I do not think it is known whether these things are caused by bugs in either
Zope or the browsers, or just different interpretations of how things are
supposed to work.

Of course, none of this is actaully helpful, is it?

Cheers,

Tom P