[Zope] Zope Troubleshooting Tip (learn from my mistake)

Schmidt, Allen J. aschmidt@nvcc.edu
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 07:33:55 -0400

Thank you! Thanks you! Thank you!

Another big plug for the open source community! This is exactly the problem
we were having and pounded our heads over it...and it is really so simple
when you think about how Zope works! How can one block that out so easily??
But I guess life is like that...the simple things sometimes are staring you
right in the face.

Thanks BZ!!!

-Allen

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-admin@zope.org]On Behalf Of BZ
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 6:28 AM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: [Zope] Zope Troubleshooting Tip (learn from my mistake)

So I was trying to get ZUBB to work (yes, I am the person maintaining
the code as well) and for some reason I could not post to this one
board I had installed in a virtual host/cmf. I created another board
and nothing would post. I checked permissions, locations, everything
and it would not post.

After hours of playing with it and getting quite frustrated I
remembered a problem I once had with names so I searched my
installation for "post" but got back nothing but the two post methods
in my first and test boards.

And then I saw it. Sitting right there in the root directory. A
folder named "submit". I renamed it "submit_old" and lo and behold I
could post again.

The problem was that I was checking for "submit" in my post method
and it was picking up on the directory name (OO and all that
goodness).

TIP: The lesson learned is: When troubleshooting something in Zope
make sure you are not calling a method or variable that has the same
name as another method / variable / object in your folder paths. Use
the find feature and take a look around.

Cheers,
BZ