[Zope] My Way of Zope Programming

Max M maxm@mxm.dk
Thu, 08 Aug 2002 14:27:26 +0200

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> now that's horrible.

no it isn't!

> hardcoding HTML into python is a maintenance nightmare. i suppose it's
> OK if you are the one who will be maintaining that code until it dies
> from bit-rot, but i would pity anyone else who did not write it and
> who has to maintain it somehow

The problem with using template languages is that it scales like s***!

Look at the problem with the CMF. If you want to add a component it has
to make it's own skin. And if you want the component to get a new look
and feel you will have to change the skin.

The CMF is a gret big monolith that can get a new look and feel by
rewriting the skins. But the amount of work associated with that scales
like: n-skins * n-components. That is squared problem. Now you can talk
about maintanance problem.

The look and feel should generally be seperate from the components.
Which they are not right now!

You should be able to write a component following some interface
specifications, and then you should be able to select a new skin from
from a drop-down or pass a ?skin=someSkin in the url, and every
component should be able to change their look without any further coding.

As it is now with ZPT/dtml Zope will not be able to scale to an
architecture where you just create plug'n play components that fits into
a framework. And until then we will not see any major reuse of code.

regards Max M

--

"Sorry I would Really Like To Help More On This Project,
But Am To Busy Doing Paid Work On A Tight Deadline"