[Zope] Problems with Ms-webfolders, iis, and pcgi

Jay, Dylan djay@avaya.com
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 14:42:07 +1000

> Jay, Dylan wrote:
> > I am trying to gain access to Zope via webdav with the
> MS-webfolder client.
> > This seems to work fine when I connect to Zope directly.
> However I also run
> > zope behind iis using pcgi. When I do this I get an error
> saying there was a
> > problem (but not details of what that problem was. If I use
> DAV explorer
> > then I can see it behind IIS just fine. From the logs I suspect that
> > webfolders is getting properties on the pcgi script or it's
> folder from IIS
> > and denying me based on that rather than looking at the full url.
> >
> > Anyone know a way around all this?
> >
> > A related question is, anyone know how to make MS-frontpage
> play nice with
> > Zope webdav?
>
> FrontPage, IIS and PCGI in one email? You are an evil evil man...

I could have gone further and congectured that some of the problem might be
due to the use of windows IE integrated authentication :)

>From a bit more investigation the conclusion I've come to is this:
WebFolders and Frontpage both use method of WebDav connection that also
tries to do WEC (which is the even more evil frontpage extensions stuff).
What seems to be happening is that a PROPFIND is requested from the root of
the URL. When running IIS with PCGI the root is an IIS controlled folder.
IIS in then returning somekind of response that the WEC component likes but
unfortunatly says "don't go any further, there is nothing to see", or
something like that, so Zope never even gets even one WebDav request. So
WebFolders is basically a nasty webdav client that doesn't play nice.
Unfortunatly most other solutions seem to cost a lot or require too much
from the user, ie better WYSIWYG = dreamweaver = cost or better WebDav =
WebDrive = cost, or External Editor = too much effort by end users.

Now I was thinking, what if External Editor was made into somekind of
unsigned applet or java webstart app? ie, one click, no install. That would
be really nice. One click to edit in your own personal WYSIWYG environment
is a killer app (and MS gets this with the IE "edit using frontpage" menu
item which IMHO gets them a lot of business). my2c.