[Zope] Zope Documentation

Breuer, Yvon YBreuer@tee.toshiba.de
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 11:01:10 +0200

Hi *,

I *really* think it's time to make a strong effort to get a better Zope=20
documentation. According to me many people agree that something needs
to be done. But I also think that it's not very clear *how* it should=20
be done the best way...

Trevor Toenjes has made a very good 'beginning'! (Although beginning=20
probably isn't the best term for it.) Maybe it's sufficient to extend=20
his work with some ideas from Patrick Price. I'd like to ask you *all*=20
to (re)think about *what* needs to be documented and *how*.

We need two types of users for this discussion:
1. experienced users:
   Together (!) they know what's good about Zope, they know the best (or
   'preferred' products, they know what should be the best way to =
*learn*
   and how to *use* Zope, they know which questions are asked many time,
   etc. etc.
2. unexperienced users:
   Together (!) they know what is missing, what is unclear, they still
   have a fresh look at Zope and probably wonder why something is done=20
   'this way' and not 'the other way'.

Don't forget that the early users have grown into Zope and it's =
continuing
expansion (as in users, as in complexity, as in possibilities, as in =
...).
It looks like newcomers can't see the forest anymore because of all =
those=20
trees standing in the way... (It's a freely translated Dutch saying.)

Last example (see other examples below!!!):
I'm working myself through the ZopeBook at the moment. It's *really*=20
helpfull and I learn constantly, but:
At first I read about DTML, about how good it is and it's possibilities.
Eveything ok. After that I started to read about Page Templates. Again=20
even more (and nice) possibilities, but it also said somewhere that it's
better to use Page Templates instead of DTML... So, why learn DTML =
first?
A bit further it's even said that it is even better to do everything =
with
Python... So, why not forget all about Page Tamplates and continue with=20
Python?
Isn't that strange? Isn't it confusing? When do use what? And Why?
Which products exist? What do they do? How do you know? Is it a good
product (according to the community)? Is there a newer/better product?

Please, take it up!

Best regards,

Yvon Breuer

Patrick Price wrote:
> Idea mode on:
>
> Is there any kind of Zope Tutorial Tool out there?   Something for=20
> throwing together instructional pages like the Zope Tutorial?
> Something that could be used for ANY kind of tutorial, slide show,=20
> web-based learning, etc.
>
> At the very least a more comprehensive tutorial than focusing on Elvis =

> sightings (which is a good tutorial, don't get me wrong)
>
> And before you tell me to write one myself, I have to learn Zope and=20
> Python first...  By then I'll have some good ideas of what to put in a =

> tutorial, but by that time I'll know Zope and everything that's now=20
> unclear will become clear, and I'll think "Why bother?  That's *basic* =

> stuff."
>
> Rant:
> While I'm on the subject of documentation, it would be nice if every =
doc=20
> standardized on having sections like:
>
> What do I do with this?  Practical example for the uninitiated.  Like, =

> "if you don't understand authentication, look at *this* link." before=20
> you even try to use this product.  In other words, not only show the=20
> *software* dependencies, but show the *knowledge* dependencies.  Think =

> how fewer emails you'd get from people like me asking silly questions.
>
> What does it look like?  Screenshot?  (Save me the bother of =
installing=20
> yet another calendar package, trying to figure out how to use it, then =

> seeing that the output is *crap*, and uninstalling and having had to=20
> restart the server *twice*.)  I *love* product pages that have=20
> screenshots or show an image of what the control will look like.
>
> and
>
> When you have a nice web page with cool widgets/whatnots, tell people=20
> how it was implemented in size-2 type or something.  Are you afraid =
I'll=20

Trevor Toenjes wrote:
> There has been a community project afoot that stalled a few months ago =
> address much of your concern with documenting products.  It stalled =
because
> developing a production process that fits everyone's current =
development
> skill level, favorite tools, and time commitments is challenging.
> The NZO (new.zope.org) project is meant to be THE community project to
> alleviate ZC's  sole duties of maintaining the community's website.
>
> Below is a link to the new Products screen that is only waiting for =
final
> development and then deployment.
> http://www.zope.org/Members/trevor/productspage/
>
> We need HELP! to finish this project. Migrating the old "software =
product"
> data to the new schema requires much more time than just conceiving a =
GUI.