[Zope] Low Cost Linux Web cluster? How? - Performance

Brad Clements bkc@murkworks.com
Fri, 09 Aug 2002 11:42:14 -0400

I've been using Zope on various customer deployments .. all on low-end PIII Linux
machines.

One customer is growing .. to the point that we'll need a database server (going to
move from Interbase to SAP DB), and one or more load balanced "web servers"

We're planning to use mod_backhand (spread) or something like it to distribute web
requests to ZEO clients on multiple machines..

I'm looking for suggestions on hardware selection and architecture for a growing OLTP
type web backend.

Also, was planning on converting all my DTML to Page Templates, but some of the PT
stuff completed thus far is compute intensive and not very fast.. I'm still trying to figure
out why (Zope 2.5.0)  with PT 1.4.0

I'm thinking of converting to XSLT with Sablotron -- and if an IE client connects I'll send
the XML/XSL to the client instead of rendering on the server. Anyone have war stories
to share?

Thanks

(my first Zope E-Commerce site is still chugging along well on it's single machine.
http://www.adirondackcraft.com )

Brad Clements,                bkc@murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
AOL-IM: BKClements