[Zope] Zope Documentation

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 20:50:19 +0200

Breuer, Yvon writes:
 > Maybe we shouldn't talk about a true way, but about a *preferred* way.
But your preferences are not necessary mine and mine even vary with
context...

Let's try an example. What's better, a Folder, a BTreeFolder,
an OrderedFolder or an OFolder (you do not know this one, its
the unpublished tiny cousin of OrderedFolder)?

  Answer, it depends.

  When my folder contains up to (say) 50 elements, a Folder
  is better than a BTreeFolder. When the folder contains
  many thousand elements, a BTreeFolder (or even the new, not
  yet officially released BTreeFolder2) is better.

  When I need to control the element order, I need "OFolder"
  or "OrderedFolder". "OFolder" just allows to control
  the element order, nothing more. "OrderedFolder" has
  lots of additional features: optional transparency,
  optional localization. But it depends on several
  additional products and it refused to get installed
  when I tried for the first time.

Another example. What database is better: MySQL, PostGres, Interbase/Firebird,
Oracle, ....

  It depends...

What is prefered depend on the persons, the contexts, the circumstances.

That the Python world is simpler depends on the Benevolent Dictator.
That the Zope world is much richer is caused by the lack of a dictator.

   Many people develop Zope products and donate them to the community.
   Almost all of them are useful in some context.
   Who should become the dictator that says, this product must not
   be on the Zope portal?

I am very happy with the community's democratic nature.
I would not like a dictator that decides on whether a product
can or can not be on the products list.

But I would welcome an annotation service, where users of a
product can comment in such a way that other users learn
about their experiences (something like the reader reviews
on Amazon.com).

And maybe, a preference rank for products in a group may help
(something like the purchase rank on Amanzon.com) automatically
determined from the number of downloads or derived from some explicit rating.

 > I really think it's a damn pity to learn something, try it, have problems
 > and finally find out I'd better done it in another way.
Isn't this quite normal with learning?

  When I finish a project, I *always* know lots of things I could
  have done better...

 > That's not very encouraging. Don't you agree?
No. I like learning. And learning means that I can make something
better after than I could before...

Dieter

PS: you could learn to strip your quotings down a bit.