[Zope] Problems with list of object references

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 06:28:47 -0700

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 12:39:09PM +0200, Sven Rudolph wrote:
> It seems that the "addresses" of my object instances change a view seconds after loading my buffer. As a result I am unable to save a list of object references for later use.

I don't know why the addresses seem to change, that's weird.
But it's probably not a good idea to make such a list persistent
anyway. You *should* be able to cache them for a little while
but they should be dynamically generated when zope starts, at the
very least, because the IDs WILL change if you do such things
as delete & recreate one of the objects, or do an import of
a backup, etc...

Instead, it's probably better to save a list of *paths*
(either absolute, or just names to acquire),
and get the IDs when you need them, possibly cacheing for
performance. There's an example of this kind of thing in the
source for PortableHole which I was just looking at.

--

Paul Winkler
"Welcome to Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"