[Zope] Sending HTML emails with images

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:42:22 +0200

vsbabu@vsbabu.org writes:
 > I'm asked to make a spam product :-( This gets data from some people, makes it into an HTML page and then emails it.
 >
 > Now, if the HTML page has to have images too, one way I can think of is by putting absolute URLs to the images. But, that will not work if the email is read outside the internal network.
 >
 > Here's how I'm sending my html encoded mail - how do I add image attachments that are referred in the html?
 >
 >     <dtml-mime type="text/html" encode="7bit">
 >     <dtml-var index_html_email>
 >     </dtml-mime>
Look at the "MIME" specification, especially look for "multipart/related".

Be careful, though:

  *  MIME (and especially "multipart/related") is quite complex

  *  many older mail readers do not yet understand "multipart/releated".

     Outlook97, especially, converts HTML insider "multipart/related"
     into plain text. The result is horrifying...

Dieter