[Zope] new External Methods not recognized

Richard Deeley r_deeley@yahoo.com
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:47:27 -0700 (PDT)

--- Dieter Maurer <dieter@handshake.de> wrote:
> Richard Deeley writes:
>  > But I digress. There appears to be an 8 character limit issue
>  > floating around.
> You are almost surely on the wrong way...
>
> I never met an 8 character limit in Zope.

You are right. I just ran through the same experiment (but with new
names, other than that nothing changed) and it seemed happy with
longer names today.

My procedure for checking this stuff was to write one routine
then clone it with new names, add the ExternalMethod and change
the call in the DTML. ie a pretty systematic approach. Things
started working again when the size was less than 8. I did two
more checks after this to make sure that this was the common
theme (it seemed pretty unlikely to me at the time, but I
really could not see any reason for why any of these were
not being handled correctly. To put it mildly it was driving
me nuts, because each step I checked was identical as far as
I could tell. Yet it would persistently refuse to accept any
new ExternalMethods. Initially I went through dozens of attempts
in between shutdowns, reboots etc. without making any headway
at all. The most bizarre of all was installing the entire thing
on a new machine and going through the searchReplaceStr tutorial step
by step and running into the same problem. This was particularly
odd as I had run this exact same thing before. Except that is,
that the first time through, I had shortened some stuff to save
extra typing)

But, looks as though that was simply coincidence. I guess I don't
know why trialLong failed to be accepted and trialLon worked just
fine (for example). They were defined and added in exactly the
same manner, so I think pilot error is probably not the cause
here.

Don't think there is any more I can add here, alas. For now,
I can get some stuff done. Some concerns that this might come
back again, but will deal with that when it happens.

Thanks for the responses though. I think we can close this
one unless there are any new ideas on this.