[Zope] Zope on Windows, Apache on Linux ???

Jaroslav Lukesh lsh@wo.cz
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:12:17 +0200

| Odes=EDlatel: Robert Segall <roseg@apsis.ch>
| Apache does NOT need access to Zope, except via the HTTP port. This
happens=20
| to be true of any proxy (which Apache essentially is in this role). Set
up=20
| Zope on your NT machine the usual way and have the proxy access it as a=
HTTP=20
| server.
|=20
| Regretably, Zope won't take advantage of multiple CPU's - that's a pyth=
on

| limitation, so you're wasting your NT machine. You may want to consider
using=20
| a smaller hardware setup there. If you arer really worried about
performance=20
| (which shouldn't be an issue at 10 hits/second unless you have extremel=
y=20
| complex stuff) you may want to look at multiple single-CPU machines
running=20
| against a ZEO backend.

"NT" is our corporate CitrixMetaframe server.

| I should think that the old 486 is more than enough for anything less
than=20
| 25-40 pages/second (in the proxy role). However, I would consider addin=
a=20
| bit more RAM - 16MB is small. In any case make sure Linux runs without =
a=20
| graphical desktop and with as few services enabled as possible (which y=
ou

| should do anyway for a machine in the DMZ).

486 is our existing web server (apache) and squid proxy based on RedHat
Linux 5.2. Connecting with SSH to that box makes lot of swapping and apac=
he
is very slow.

| For a lightweight alternative to Apache in the proxy role try our Pound
proxy=20
| server at http://www.apsis.ch/pound - it does exactly what you need and
was=20
| designed for that, avoiding the overhead of a full-fledged web server.

I need few virtual webs to run here. It is able to setup pound to use
redirecting, for example

www.domain.com --> 192.168.2.2:8080/www/www.domain.com/
another.domain.com --> 192.168.2.2:8080/www/another.domain.com/
www.domain2.com --> 192.168.2.2:8080/www/www.domain2.com/

All virtual domains are name-based virtuals at single external IP od
1.2.3.4 translated into DMZ to address 192.168.1.2 where is that small
linux box.

It is possible?

Many thanks, J. Lukesh