[Zope] Windows vs. Linux

Stephan Goeldi Stephan Goeldi" <goeldi@goeldi.com
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 15:43:54 +0200

> I am interested in developing with Zope.  Is there a distinct advantage as
> to using Windows or Linux as a desktop system for development.  I am
willing
> to use either system.  Thank You.

It ... depends. Developing a 'normal' website with Zope should be no problem
for DOS (i.e. win95/98/ME). But I experienced a problem once when I worked
with background conversion of word/excel/powerpoint/pdf documents (for
document library in Zope). The DOS OS's (win95/98/ME) didn't react for about
90 seconds, while win NT and 2000 took about 25 seconds (to let python
convert about 100 documents using 3rd party software in the background).
Linux did it in about 15 seconds.

So your first choice is Linux
Second choice windows nt or 2000
xp? have a look at www.goeldi.com/pics/xp.jpg (this is no joke but real
advertisement for a stupid people!)
the last choice is micros~1.oft DOS (i.e. win95, 98 and ME, while ME is the
worst crap I ever saw)

I personally work with NT 4.0 and RedHat Linux 7.3 on my Desktop (Dualboot).

Goeldi.com - Internet Services
www.zopehosting.ch
web@goeldi.com
Tel   +41-61-7330555