[Zope] Recommended Zope book?

Dennis Allison allison@sumeru.stanford.EDU
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 18:28:28 -0700

Patrick Price <jprice22@wvu.edu> wrote:

> 1: Doesn't have a lot of screenshots with obvious stuff like showing how
> to use the ZMI
> 2: Covers ZPT, TAL, METAL,  etc. (the Beehive Book of Zope index doesn't
> even mention ZPT or Page templates, from what I can tell) although it
> comes recommended
> 3: Is a good overall reference for dtml, tal, and external methods.
>
> I don't want to buy the Zope Book right now because it's already out of
> date.
>
> I have the following choices:
>
> a: the zope bible
> b: zope web application development and content management
> c: Book of zope
>
> Anyone have any experience with these?

And I (Dennis Allison) replied:

> The capsule review:
>
>    a: 1
>    b: 3-- (it's an overview, but doesn't go deep into anything)
>    c: 3-  (no TAL, minimal external metods), verges on 1
>
> Of the lot, I found the BofZ most useful.  But the Zope Book stands is really
> the must.  Why not download the next draft?  You'll also want to read the
> Product Developers document.
>
> And get Dieter's work in progress...  There are only three chapters at the moment,
> but you will find his explanations very helpful.

but was not as clear as I should have been.

	The Zope Bible is one of those 'lots of screen shots" little
	content book although there are folk who recommmended it.

	The ZWADACM book has lots of useful information but it's an overview
	at a system level not about the guts.

	The Books of Zope it an intro tutorial, cluttered with some screen
	shots, but with examples...

	Dieter Maurer's three chapters are more useful than the lot.  Download
	them from www.handshake.de.  They explain the ideas and principles rather
	than glossing over the hard parts ...

There, that's a bit more comprehensible..
1