[Zope] Zope3 Questions

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:54:30 -0400

I'll take a stab at some of them...

On Monday 19 August 2002 12:02 pm, Chris Withers wrote:
> Anyone in the know care to answer on the zope@zope.org list?
>=20
> cheers,
>=20
> Chris
>=20

ZODB4
>=20
> 2. Which Python version will be recuired?

Python2.2, perhaps Python2.3 when it ships it is driving some of the chan=
ges=20
happening for 2.3
=20
> 3. What changes will be done to the PropertyManager?

It will be entirely rewritten. One thing to realized with Zope3 is that y=
ou=20
will likely have several implementations of basic functionality like this=
 to=20
choose form. One implementation might store the properties in the object=20
another might use an external database or a surrogate object. Each would =
have=20
the same interface so the application code would be the same regardless.
=20
> 4. Will the class Folder store the content in BTree's? (BTreeFolder2)

As implemented now, yes. It may be further refactored to take a hybrid=20
approach (dictionary for small folders, BTree for large ones).
=20
> 5. Which changes will be done to ZCatalog?

It is being rewritten from scratch as "ObjectHub" which handles base serv=
ices=20
related to creating "tables" of objects. Indexing and query support will =
be=20
an ObjectHub add-on.
=20
> 6. Will the UserManagement be changed so that a role can include anothe=
r=20
role?

No, roles cannot be nested. However Zope3 will include the notion of=20
"Principal Groups" similar to user groups in other systems. These will be=
=20
able to be nested and directly granted either roles or permissions.

Principal is the moral equivilant of a Zope2 user, but it also captures o=
ther=20
actors who are authorized in the system (like groups, certificates, the=20
system, etc).
=20
> 7. What changes will be done to the Permissions?

Permissions will be able to be explicitly denied as well as granted.=20
Permissions will be able to be categorized to simplify their management.
=20
> 8. How useable is Zope3?=09

Most of the framework is there, but there is much work to be done on the =
user=20
interface (ZopeTop).

> 9. How can I store Properties which should be common to all instances
>      of a class?

Class attributes would be one way (like today)
Another way could be using a utility (a application global object) stores=
=20
global property values.
There are other application level inheritence proposals and ideas floatin=
g=20
around, such as TTW modules and object templating ideas.

My guess is there will be many ways to do it.

-Casey